The “Kalinago” Territory is the last remaining frontier of the present day indigenous descendants of Wai’tukubuli (Dominica). It is an eastern human settlement encompassing approximately 3,700 acres of land. This particular area is located in the parish of St. David and is situated between the villages of Atkinson and Castle Bruce.
Figure 1 Map of Dominica
The Territory is roughly 2% of the total land mass of the island. This portion of land was largely referred to as the ‘Carib Quarter’, before its official British demarcation on July 4th 1903.
Figure 2 Map of the Kalinago Territory
This particular jurisdiction was recorded to encompass a “number of households in and around the Salybia area along the windward coast”.
The particular location of the present day Kalinago Territory was not one of the major original settlements of the Kalinago. Evidence relates that the people inhabited vast areas on the more ‘favourable’ coasts of Wai’tukubuli. Some of these areas still bear their names; like Coulibistrie and Colihaut and Calibishie.
The gradual European colonial enterprise eventually pushed the people off these lands as the plantation system developed island wide.
Historical records have revealed that this largely rugged terrain of the ‘Territory’ provided a natural fortress against the overpowering thrust of Colonial domination toward the end of the 19th Century. A present day hike through the area, geographic analysis, and aerial photo imagery highlights its harshness, thus adding credibility to this perspective.
Geological data relate that the Territory is on the oldest segment of the island which is evident in the topography and soil composition. It appears to be part and parcel of the first landform of the island. To date it is identified as the ‘safe zone” on volcanic Wai’tukubuli and have progressed to maximize on alternative energy and climate resilient projects.